Saturday 4 December 2010

Great Days in a Real Band

Playing in the new band at Bury St Edmonds was one of the best experiences I have ever had. When we practiced in the hall at the factory the resonant sound was so intense you felt the roof would lift off. It was my first experience of wearing full highland dress as a piper.


We met on a Sunday morning & got some great tuition from quality pipers, many of whom came from the band at RAF Honington. I cannot praise the Bury band enough for the grounding they gave me in my playing, building on the good work done by those who sorted me out at Honington.


Its a good job you don't have to pay for this lot yourself, the cost back then was in the region of £2000 per uniform. The Whisky people at Glenmorison (near Loch Lomond) sponsored the band to help promote a new product.

The Glenmorison Pipe Band.






We performed all over the county & had no shortage of requests to attend a huge variety of events. I had hoped for a long career with them but the RAF had other plans & something of a shock in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment